Saturday, July 26, 2008

Blog #3

Hey I am back. I know that I said I wouldn’t wait so long to write but I forgot that I was going to be traveling for about 24 hours. My itinerary went basically like this. Leave Palo Alto hotel 10:30AM Friday morning for airport, leave San Francisco 2:00PM and fly 13 hours to Hong Kong, about 2 hour layover in Hong Kong, 3 hour flight to Singapore, and arrive at hotel 1:30AM Sunday morning after going through customs and getting out bags. Where did Saturday go?

The hotel here in Singapore is sweet. The world university games team came here last year before going to compete in Bangkok and everyone was talking about how nice the hotel was and stuff but I didn’t pay much attention to it. I have been in a lot of nice hotels around the world but I think this one may take the cake. It’s also pretty awesome because usa swimming gave most of the us our own rooms here. Now I have heard this is a five star resort so usa swimming must be shelling out some good money for us to stay here. Coach Schubert said that he wants us to have a five star taper so I plan doing so. I just have to remember I can’t gain five pound before I leave, if breakfast is any indication of how good the food is then I am going to have to be diligent about how much and about what kinds of food I am going to eat. Either way it’s a really great “problem” to have because village food is okay but nothing like this. You can’t really consider anything about this trip to be too much of a problem except for the fact that I can’t see my wife for about a month and a half.

I plan on getting some pictures up on the blog if I figure out how to do it so you guys can see the hotel for yourselves. It’s actually hard for me to call this only a hotel, it really is a resort. The pool outside is probably 30 meters long by about 15 meters wide so pretty big. They also have a putting green and two golf holes that are about 30 or 40 yards long. Too bad I didn’t bring my clubs; I guess I have other things on my agenda besides golfing like the Olympics. I almost forgot. They also had walking path that goes through what I could only consider a small rainforest with some waterfalls and small ponds with koi fish in them. I didn’t go in the Spa/ Gym but it looked pretty sweet from the outside (the gym overlooks the pool).

I plan on going to the pool later to swim off the trip and then enjoy my time here as much as possible. The trip has gone by so fast already and it is only going to go by faster. That’s all for now but since I have my own room now I may be posting a little more since Shanteau and I will be playing a little less chess. I probably shouldn’t say that though because there is a real possibility that it will be three days before I post again. Just keep checking and maybe I will keep my word. Later.

7 comments:

heather k said...

Yay!! I beat Ashley to the first comment this time!! We miss you guys, but you and Jeremy being gone has given Ashley and I alot of time to hang out. Also Daisy misses you terribly. :) The three of us drove around last night looking for ice cream and today I'm going to try to talk Ashley into going flat-water kayaking or....maybe more ice cream. :)
Happy Tapering!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't check for a while...too busy looking at Ebay for tickets to the events!! But anyway another good blog. The family is really enjoying this ,Mark. Keep it up. Really makes us feel part of everything. Went golfing today (18 holes) and really did well..was hitting the ball so long!! You should have seen your old mother! Your would have been proud. Dad and I beat Edgar and George. Won 10 bucks. Not like staying at a luxury resort but not bad. Well don't eat too much. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds so exciting.....enjoy every minute! As usual, we are all so proud of you and thinking of you all the time! Congratulations on all your achievements!
Love, Aunt Stephanie

Anonymous said...

I see what you mean about the hotel! I want to be there!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Marky,

So, since the US Swim team has so much loot that they can put you up at a 5 star hotel...do you think that can get me a cheap flight to Beijing to come see you win?

You deserve everything that you've accomplished, and we are all so proud of you. Can't wait to see the new hardware at Rice Lake next year.

Love, Krista

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mark - we are all so proud of you!!! Thanks so much for doing this blog - it is so exciting and makes us really feel a part of what's happening! Have fun and good luck - the whole family is thinking of you all the time, and we can't wait to see your new medal at Christmas!!!
"Hi" to Ashley, too!
Love, Aunt Mary Jane

Anonymous said...

Boo Monkey.