Saturday, July 19, 2008

7/19/08

19 days until the start to the Olympics!!!

Hello all. If you have made it this far I must start off by saying thanks for coming and checking my blog out. For those of you that dont know me my name is Mark Gangloff and I am a professional swimmer that will be competing in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I am going to do my best to keep everyone posted on what is going on leading up to the Games. I am a first time blogger so bear with me because my thoughts may be a little scattered. So much has happened in the last three weeks and I will do my best to let you know how it has gone.

For those of you that dont know after the Olympic Trials in Omaha, NE finished the whole Olympic team assembled in Palo Alto, CA for a training camp. We got here on the July 7th and will be here until July 25th. On the 25th we leave for Singapore for another training camp (if you can call it that; by this time most if not all of the athletes are tapering by now). The main reason we head to Singapore is probably to get our bodies acclimated with the time change. On August 4th we go from Singapore to Beijing and get settled into the athlete village. As most of you know the Olympics start on August 8th and then swimming starts on the 9th. The prelims of the 100 Breast is on first day so I will be competing on the 9th, 10th(semi-final), and 11th(finals) and then on either the 15th(prelims) or 17th(finals) I will be swimming on the 4x100 Medley Relay.
That is basically how the next few weeks look for me.

Taking a few steps back I want to let you guys know what it is like at the training camp here in Palo Alto. We are staying at a hotel pretty close to the pool which is on Stanford University's campus. For those of you that have never been to Stanford's swimming facility it is pretty phenomenal. The have two eight lane 50m pools, one eight lane 25yd pool (which contains a diving well), and there is also another 25yd diving well that has several power racks and power towers in it. I usually get a lot of questions on how training camp works, who trains with who, who coaches who, does the intensity of training go way up, ect. Basically every athlete is assigned a coach who is on the official USA Olympic staff. For instance I was assigned to Eddie Reese's group. Now Eddie has several swimmers on the Olympic team (Spann, Shanteau, Hansen, Peirsol, Crocker, Walters, Weber-Gale, Bernes) so those swimmers swimming in his group with the addition of me. Greg Troy, Bob Bowman, and Frank Busch are the other coaches on the Olympic staff and they each have their own groups respectively. Coach Troy and Coach Bowman for the most part take the athletes that swim middle distance to distance events. Coach Busch takes the sprinters for the most part. Hopefully you get the idea. Just because you were assigned to a specific group does not mean that you have to train with that group every practice or every day. If you or the coaches decide that it is better that you change groups then that day you change groups. An example of this would be Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte came into Eddie's group yesterday because they wanted to do a sprint set with our group (more on that later). Or if Eddies group was doing some longer more aerobic work and I needed to do some sprinting then I would probably go with Coach Busch's group or ask one of the other staff members to help me out with a sprint set.

Since there is only about five weeks between the Trials and the Olympics training is kind of strange because you have to increase the volume and intensity of the work that you are doing but not too much. If you increase the intensity or volume too much and get broken down then there is not enough time to get fully rested again. So a lot of the training is on how you are feeling every day. If you feel good then you can usually go pretty hard but if you are starting to feel fatigued then you probably need to back off some. This basically goes on until about two or three weeks out from the Games and then usually everyone starts their taper again.

Here at the camp I do have a roommate and it is Eric Shanteau. Most of you know by now that Eric was diagnosed with testicular cancer about ten days before the Olympic Trials. Eric was one of my best friends while we were at Auburn University so I was very upset to here that this has happened to him. Eric has assured me and everyone that he is being very safe about his decision to continue swimming. He is working with some very reliable doctors and is being tested every week to make sure that nothing is spreading or growing. I can tell you he is doing very well and training great.

By the way Eric has just called me and we are going to head to dinner so I will be back in the next couple of days to keep you posted on how things are going.

Mark

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark... I am so proud of you... great 1st blog! -Ash

Anonymous said...

Looks great Mark! So happy to hear about everything! Mom

heather k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heather k said...

Mark!!! I am so excited that you are doing a blog! Its looks great! I really like all the stuff that you did on the side. So professional. :) We have to do some work on ours this week to get ready for the Olympics.
We can't wait to see you in Beijing!!
Heather
http://jeremyandheatherknowles.blogspot.com/

KEVIN said...

YOU CAN FIND ALL T.V. LISTINGS A BIO. ON ATHLETES AT (NBCOLYMPICS.COM)
8-10-08
7:00p - 11:00p
WGRZ-TV 2 (2) Primetime
(LIVE) Swimming gold-medal finals including the men's 4x100m free relay and Brendan Hansen in the 100m breaststroke final. Also: Women's gymnastics qualification, featuring Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin, plus the women's 3m synchronized diving final.


8-17-08 ( I THINK THIS IS THE RELAY NOT POSITIVE)
7:30p - 12:00a
WGRZ-TV 2 (2) Primetime
(LIVE) Women's marathon and gold-medal finals in swimming, including the medley relays and women's 50m freestyle. Also: Tyson Gay and the world's fastest men chase gold in the 100m dash final.

Anonymous said...

Mark, good post. Can't wait to read about singapore and beijing. One thing though...

Why can't I vote for myself in the "favorite swimmer" poll?

Clear that up if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark - wish we could see you in Palo Alto but know you are busy!
We are proud of you and love you alot! your California family- Aunt Minda, Uncle Willye R. and Flavia-

J. L. Brookman said...

Good luck, Mark. Can't wait to watch you on TV and think about the times I had to try to race your breaststroke with my backstroke :)

Me and Mike will be cheering for you!

-Jess

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark our whole family is pulling for you to touch first in the finals. train smart!

you gonna love the usms office when you come home.

Adrienne said...

marky mark! i miss you guys! so stoked on this blog though, you're so grown up : ) congrats on everything, i'm so proud of you!
love you! adrienne

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I've been wanting to 'talk' with you for quite a while. Thanks for doing this blog stuff.
You are living a dream of millions of people. You are a champion. Enjoy your success and Best of luck to you.
Uncle David D.

PS. Beat Brendan!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark. Thanks so much for what you have done for the Blue Group! We have gained so much. Good luck!
Addison

Donnis Short said...

THe Short family would like to have a Christmas present of you wearing the GOLD!

Let the games begin!!!!!!!

In Christ,
Donnis for the Family...Cathy, Andy, Stephanie, Becky, Tucker,Sarah, Chris, & Katie

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I thought of you last week while playing golf up in Northern Michigan with my dad and brother. We played a course that was unreal. Arcadia Bluffs was the name of it, and it was on the northwestern shores of Lake Michigan on some bluffs overlooking the lake. We teed up some drivers and drilled them off the bluffs and waited about 30 seconds for them to splash in the lake (must have been 400 feet above lake Michigan). It was my favorite course I've played to date, and thought you would have enjoyed it. Hitting into the lake was almost as fun as hooded three irons at moving targets at Grand National. Anyway, glad to hear there is a driving range near the pool. I can't wait for your swim here in just over a week.
Pat.

Tim said...

Mark,

It was great to read your blog. I am impressed by the times you did in the Quadrathlone ( second place) Looks like you ready for some great swims. Best of luck, Swim fast!!!

Go USA!!

Tim